Barley, a grain that forms an integral component of most cereals, is a member plant belonging to the grass family. Most people, though, find it easier to relate this grain with soup and beer. True, it is one of the important ingredients used in fermentation and beer production; but, barley has a unique versatility when it comes to being used in food production. Apart from aiding a hasty weight loss process in individuals, a number of other health benefits have been found to be associated with this cereal grain.
Health benefits of barley: Barley has a rich content of minerals, antioxidants and various nutrients, making it one of the most important grains that can have a positive effect on one’s health. Here we take a look at some of the ways in which it can help individuals maintain the overall quality of their health, and, in turn, their lives.
• Lowers the levels of cholesterol: Barley has a rich content of both insoluble as well as soluble fibers. While the soluble fibers dissolve and bind themselves with the fatty acids and reduce the level of bad cholesterol, the insoluble fibers yield propionic acid that aids in maintaining low levels of blood cholesterol. Low cholesterol levels are important for reducing the risks of heart attacks and strokes.
• Facilitates weight loss: Barley makes one feel fuller for longer durations and acts as a suppressant for a person’s appetite. Also, the rich fiber content of this grain helps in the elimination of fatty substances from one’s physical system. This way, barley aids in weight loss for an individual.
• Regulates diabetes: For patients who have been diagnosed with diabetes, consumption of barley can be largely beneficial as this grain helps in stabilizing the levels of glucose contained in the blood. Barley contains beta-glucan fiber that slows down the rate at which the body absorbs carbohydrates from food. This results in reduced levels of insulin and glucose in the blood.
• Prevents osteoporosis: The grain has a rich content of copper and phosphorus that helps in maintaining the overall health of the bones. Phosphorus serves as an effective cure for tooth and bone ailments. Juice produced from barley grass is eleven times richer in calcium content compared to milk. Thus, this grain serves as a preventive measure against osteoporosis.
• Improves the skin tone: Barley is capable of enhancing the elasticity of skin, in turn making the skin tighter. This way, the skin becomes more well-toned and supple, thereby giving the individual a far younger appearance.
• Anti-ageing properties: Barley has antioxidant properties that reduce the signs of ageing in an individual. Barley water helps in flushing out toxin content from within the body and gives a wrinkle-free and clean texture to the skin.
• Restores color to the hair: Consuming green barley grass aids in restoring the natural color to one’s hair. It is also rich in copper content that facilitates melanin growth in the body. Melanin is the primary pigment responsible for providing color to the hair.
• Fights against hair loss: One of the most common reasons behind loss of hair is anemia. Barley is rich in copper and iron that facilitate red blood cell production in the body. It, thus, helps in keeping anemia at bay and subsequently serves as a stimulant for hair growth.
A cereal grain that boasts of a rich content of dietary fibers, barley can serve as an integral part of any balanced diet plan. Whether it is made into a cereal for breakfast or as a side dish, barley can be used in more ways than one as a filling meal with numerous health benefits to boast.
In order to maximize the health benefits of barley, you may take it in powdered juice form or capsule form. Make sure that you’re buying/drinking only the original green barley products. We are the leading distributors of the original green barley juice in the Philippines. We also ship overseas. To order, please sign up at www.greenbarleyphilippines.com/where-to-buy-green-barley-2